The Freemasons of Tranent, members of Lodges throughout East Lothian, Midlothian & further afield had a yearning to form a Lodge in the town and during 1911 and 1912 a group of them headed by Bro. Alexander Russell got together and set forth on the jouney to form the Lodge. Various meetings took place in The Crown Hotel and the local Billiard hall and plans were set in motion. The lodge was sponsored by Lodge St. John Kilwinning No. 57 (Haddington) & Lodge Tyneside No. 714 (East Linton) and was granted its Charter by the Grand Lodge of Scotland on the 7th November 1912 and given the Number 1112 on the Roll of Grand Lodge. Many names were suggested for the Lodge including Faside Castle but the Brethren decided unanimously that it be called Lodge Nisbet in honour of the then Provincial Grand Master Bro. C. C. Nisbet of Stobshiel. Bro. Nisbet presented the Lodge with the Masters Chair which is still in use some 98 Years later.
Back Row -John Crawford, Thomas Langlands, William W. Gordon, Archibald Irvine, William Aithie, Thomas Main, Robert Scott, John Purves, Robert W. Libberton, William Watson, William McNeil, James Duncan
Middle Row – John Wright, John Napier, Robert V. Howie, Thomas G. Young, James Malcolmson, David Ramsay, Dr. A. J. De Spiganovic, William Courtney, John Mitchell, James Tennant
Front Row – Edward H. Keel, James Liard, George Nicholson, John T. Pearce, Alexander N. Russell (RWM), John Meiklejohn, James Arnott, William J. Ferris, John Paterson
View to the East showing the original Chair presented to the Lodge By Bro. C . C. Nisbet of Stobshiel
Consecration Ceremonial St. Andrews Church Hall Haddington Road Tranent 18th December 1912
Consecration Dinner Crown Hotel Tranent 18th December 1912